Tuesday, April 06, 2004

Chris Dodd's remarks

Well, I guess that only 3 people read this anymore...and I assume that the Consiglieri has already seen this referenced on NRO...so I guess I'm posting to you, that other reader.

Chris Dodd on the celebration of Byrd's 17,000th vote:
"It has often been said that the man and the moment come together. I do not think it is an exaggeration at all to say to my friend from West Virginia that he would have been a great senator at any moment. Some were right for the time. Robert C. Byrd, in my view, would have been right at any time," said Senator Christopher Dodd, D-Conn.

So now the media is going to go on full offense mode against Dodd, right? If we're to take his statement literally, it means that Byrd would have been right for the time even when he was a member of the KKK.

Now, to be honest, I don't impute ill motives to Dodd on this point, even if he was a major apologist for communists in South America in the 80s, but it would be nice to see the media apply the same standard they applied to Trent Lott when he praised Strom Thurmond.

Hmmm...I guess it doesn't work that way though, does it? To put it in legal terms, every time a man with an "R" next to his name opens his mouth, the comment is subject to strict scrutiny (perhaps ultra strict scrutiny)...but if you have a "D" next to your name, your comment gets the rational (or perhaps irrational) basis test.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home